HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Has Facebook killed the forum?
Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:10 am by CraigB

» Yamaha R1 Back in Black
Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 pm by RedZ

» Had my first proper off... On track
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:40 pm by Dam0n

» Couple of wheelie pics...
Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:00 am by RedZ

» Harder accelleration
Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 am by Dam0n

» Brightonia sunday 10th October
Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 am by guitarman

» Hi all - another addition to the 125 massive
Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:19 pm by BADWOLF

» big ride out today sunday 11th
Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:08 pm by CraigB

» Tattoo Convention
Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:39 am by RedZ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

Why change to an aftermarket exhaust system? Slip on or full system?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RedZ
C.E.O
C.E.O

Male Location : Portmore

PostSubject: Why change to an aftermarket exhaust system? Slip on or full system?   Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Aftermarket exhaust modifications fall into two categories: full systems and slip-ons. The full systems replace the entire stock system including the CAT. High-end exhausts with titanium headers still offer fair weight savings compared to the stock ones. Some headers have various tapers and crossovers to enhance low- and midrange torque while still improving top-end power. In fact, some systems offer minimal gains in peak power, choosing to instead shape the power curve for more midrange and a broader horsepower peak.

However, one possible disadvantage of aftermarket systems is that they require the removal of the servo-controlled valves that some OE exhausts use for better low-end power. Although installation of a full system is a relatively easy modification, many riders choose to mount slip-on systems. These range from simply bolting a canister to the stock S-bend of the header or replac-ing the exhaust from a mid-point back.

Since the system becomes a hybrid of OE and aftermarket components, the power gains are mini-mized. Still, if your bike has a heavy muffler, shaving those few pounds can be the same as adding some horsepower. Also, slip-ons don't require the removal of exhaust control valves such as Yamaha's EXUP system.

SO... Is it all worth it? Do you get power gains with an after market system? I would suggest you do, infact having an after market full system and power commander mapped has given my R1 considerable power gains. I will be getting on the dyno this month and will document the results for RBB
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://freedomrydaz.forumotion.net
Afro
Forum Member
Forum Member

Male Location : Southend

PostSubject: Re: Why change to an aftermarket exhaust system? Slip on or full system?   Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:15 am

Good post mate...

Wanted to add that many new bikes only use the servo motor in the exhaust to control noise and not low rev performance.

The recent GSX-Rs are a case in point as when you remove the SET valve, you get a nicer exhaust note and no drop in performance (a slight increase).

You must fool the ECU though by cutting a wire, otherwise it will go into failsafe mode and the bike will run quite badly.

On the new R1, I hear Yamaha have finally ditched the EXUP also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Why change to an aftermarket exhaust system? Slip on or full system?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1