HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Has Facebook killed the forum?
Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:10 am by CraigB

» Yamaha R1 Back in Black
Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 pm by RedZ

» Had my first proper off... On track
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:40 pm by Dam0n

» Couple of wheelie pics...
Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:00 am by RedZ

» Harder accelleration
Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 am by Dam0n

» Brightonia sunday 10th October
Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 am by guitarman

» Hi all - another addition to the 125 massive
Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:19 pm by BADWOLF

» big ride out today sunday 11th
Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:08 pm by CraigB

» Tattoo Convention
Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:39 am by RedZ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

A little trick to help with setting up suspension...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dam0n
Prospect
Prospect

Male Age : 27
Leo Horse

PostSubject: A little trick to help with setting up suspension...   Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:23 pm

I thought I would share a little trick to help with setting up your suspension on more sports orientated bikes.

When compaines such as K-Tech rebuild your forks, they often add something called a "witness ring" or a fork travel indicator. This is basically a large plastic O ring that fits around your fork stanchion. It shows fork dive by moving to the lowest part of the stanchion under heavy braking and staying there to give you a reference point when off the bike.

For example, If my suspension was too soft and the forks were bottoming out, the witness ring would be left at the bottom of the fork stanchion. This would let me know I have used up all my fork travel, thus meaning I would have to adjust accordingly. Similarly, if my settings were too hard and the maximum dive I was experiencing under heavy braking was only using half the fork travel, then once again the witness ring, used as a refence, would be left half way down the stanchion. This would mean I could soften the suspension to suit.

The idea is to go as soft as possible without bottoming out the forks under heavy braking. Most people think that racers and sports bike riders need excessively hard suspension to go fast around corners, but this is not strictly true. Its all about getting the right balance.

Above is a picture of the said witness ring. They are cheap, but as they require you seperate the forks, they are very time consuming to fit. Great as an addition if you are doing fork seals or the like.

This is where my tip comes in. Find yourself a suitable sized cable tie and fasten it around one of your fork legs. Make sure it is just tight enough so that is doesn't move about on its own. Do not over-tighten though. Snip off the excess and slide to the top of your stanchion. There we have a witness ring without the fuss. I will get a picture of mine up asap to show you all what it looks like.

Thanks all,

Damon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lifepersonaltraining.co.uk
SMF_12
Forum Member
Forum Member

Male Age : 19
Sagittarius Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: A little trick to help with setting up suspension...   Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:55 am

Sound bit of advise mate, suspension mods are a must instead of power mods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dam0n
Prospect
Prospect

Leo Horse

PostSubject: Re: A little trick to help with setting up suspension...   Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Cheers Saj,

Everyone is so obsessed with gaining power that they fail to realise that its the suspension / brakes that really make a bike fast.

Sorry I missed you today dude, Rishirs bike failed the MOT so we didnt go out in the end Neutral
Back to top Go down
SMF_12
Forum Member
Forum Member

Male Age : 19
Sagittarius Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: A little trick to help with setting up suspension...   Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:23 pm

what did it fail on mate?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dam0n
Prospect
Prospect

Leo Horse

PostSubject: Re: A little trick to help with setting up suspension...   Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:06 pm

SMF_12 wrote:
what did it fail on mate?

stupid things like brake pads too work (he says they wernt) seat missing a bolt and fuel seal is faulty... he was livid. still, least he has 10 days for a free partial retest
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little trick to help with setting up suspension...   

Back to top Go down

A little trick to help with setting up suspension...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1