HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Has Facebook killed the forum?
Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:10 am by CraigB

» Yamaha R1 Back in Black
Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 pm by RedZ

» Had my first proper off... On track
Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:40 pm by Dam0n

» Couple of wheelie pics...
Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:00 am by RedZ

» Harder accelleration
Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 am by Dam0n

» Brightonia sunday 10th October
Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 am by guitarman

» Hi all - another addition to the 125 massive
Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:19 pm by BADWOLF

» big ride out today sunday 11th
Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:08 pm by CraigB

» Tattoo Convention
Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:39 am by RedZ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum
 

Share | 
 

 Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Airwane
Prospect
Prospect
avatar

Male Age : 36
Location : London, Croydon, Bromley, Penge
Virgo Dog

PostSubject: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 6:31 am

Well I'm looking to get my license Category A (cheap to do & I don't my 2years waiting). I just have to pass my theory test which I didn't pass.

I'm looking to get a Kawasaki Z1000 or Z750 or ER-6N which can't all be restricted to 33bhp.

A friend say it's better to go for a 600cc but I don't want to do that and then change bike after a year to 1000cc. So I thought. it's best I buy a 1000cc ride it for the 2 years restriction. which at the same time save me money.

Another friend said that it's a matter of being confident. so I can go for any cc.

what do you think?

by the way a lady who work at the test centre told me that if I do the theory test for car I don't have to do the bike one. is it true?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.airwane.com
Airwane
Prospect
Prospect
avatar

Male Age : 36
Location : London, Croydon, Bromley, Penge
Virgo Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 am

a Z1
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.airwane.com
SMF_12
Forum Member
Forum Member
avatar

Male Age : 20
Location : .
Sagittarius Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 7:25 am

If you can handle it, and are sensible then sure.

If your gonna ride like me then i wouldnt reccomend it lol!

i personally would go for a slower bike (apart from the next one ill be building) as you can use the power more and have more reason to rag it. 600's can usualy have the 1000's in the corners ar they have the right amount of power.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PRE
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 29
Location : Croydon
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 am

Yo Rudy, allow me to help clear some details on your test mate!

Firstly u gotta do the theory test, which is different for cars and bikes. So when booking it make sure u book the bike one!

Then for your license you have a few options:

A2 [Resrticted License]: U take the test on a 125cc bike [with gears, capable of 70mph] and after passing u r restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. [i am on this license and did the test on my current bike, CBR125R]

If you are over 21 you cna do a direct access where you take the test on a 500cc geared bike and then can ride any bike you wish.

First and foremost i would say get accostomed to a geared motorbike, be a it 125cc on your current CBT license. Something like my bike will help you get a feel of gearing and soforth.

Then decide what kinda of test you want to do, if you think you can handle a test on a 500cc bike then by all means do your DAS [direct access scheme test] as it will save you a frankly boring 2 year wait.

If however you are more comfortable with a smaller bike for now and in no rush to get a big bike, then take the A2 test.

After doing DAS you are free to buy whatever bike you wish, it is truly upto you. I would suggest going upto a maximum of 600cc, trust me they are extremely powerful bikes and you should not underestimate or shrug off the power of 600's. Many people never feel comfortable or feel they have the ability to ride a 1000cc bike, and getting one as a first bike is an extremely big step up.

If as you are saying, you will do the restricted test, your best bet is to get a bike around the 600cc mark and get it restricted [If you remember Kamikaze's black ninja from sunday, his was restricted to 33bhp]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bikepics.com/members/pre/
Airwane
Prospect
Prospect
avatar

Male Age : 36
Location : London, Croydon, Bromley, Penge
Virgo Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 7:47 am

DAS is way to expensive.
I rather get a restricted bike for 2 years and get use to it. I really don't like my 125.
but yeah thank for the advice Pre I'll think over.
I'm just checking my option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.airwane.com
PRE
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 29
Location : Croydon
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 8:00 am

as far as i know, if you factor in the cost of restricting a powerful bike, it will pretty much make up for the difference in price between DAS and A2 license costs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bikepics.com/members/pre/
BADWOLF
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 108
Location : ME8 (medway towns)
Pisces Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 9:22 am

Iirc the tests costs the same!
but it doesn't make financial sense to get a big bike and then restrict it. the reason is the insurance company will charge you silly money either way.

the way I did it all, I got my scooter and had it for about 7 great months.
so I already had the cbt. then I did the bike theory test.
then I phoned around some schools and got the das price down because I had done all the other bits myself. they usually price from no cbt to pass das.
as for going for a 1L from 125, if you want to and can control it do it. I did and now my bike is half the power and half the weight of my first "big bike" as I don't need or want all the power
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airwane
Prospect
Prospect
avatar

Male Age : 36
Location : London, Croydon, Bromley, Penge
Virgo Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 9:27 am

I decided to get info for the Z750. the ER-6n is to compact for me. I'm look to have a comfortable bike.

I'll write to my insurance and will see what they say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.airwane.com
BADWOLF
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 108
Location : ME8 (medway towns)
Pisces Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 9:43 am

Airwane wrote:
I decided to get info for the Z750. the ER-6n is to compact for me. I'm look to have a comfortable bike.

I'll write to my insurance and will see what they say.

I don't think they'll know what will suit you Very Happy best to go and sit on a few lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedZ
C.E.O
C.E.O
avatar

Male Location : Portmore

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Bro, you got all the info about tests etc so the decision is yours depending on your own current situation etc. The only thing I will comment on is bike size, last week on the ride out my bike was the only 1000cc bike all of them were 600's apart from Adams 636 and the GSR 750. My bike is definately more powerfull but I really wouldnt be able to leave anyone behind, only on a long str8.

My advise would be to go for the bike you want the most, be it the looks, handeling, cost or whatever. You must give alot of respect to a large bike as it will get you in serious trouble if you are not in total control at all times, so if you doubt your self control think twice Cool

_________________
One, one coco full basket! Every mikkle mek a mukkle!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://freedomrydaz.forumotion.net
Airwane
Prospect
Prospect
avatar

Male Age : 36
Location : London, Croydon, Bromley, Penge
Virgo Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 4:01 pm

is there a big difference between a 600 and a 750?

because if I have to go to step by step then the next should be a 250cc.
I know I wont go for a 1000cc lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.airwane.com
shiver85
Forum Member
Forum Member
avatar

Male

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 5:05 pm

RedZ wrote:
Bro, you got all the info about tests etc so the decision is yours depending on your own current situation etc. The only thing I will comment on is bike size, last week on the ride out my bike was the only 1000cc bike all of them were 600's apart from Adams 636 and the GSR 750. My bike is definately more powerfull but I really wouldnt be able to leave anyone behind, only on a long str8.

My advise would be to go for the bike you want the most, be it the looks, handeling, cost or whatever. You must give alot of respect to a large bike as it will get you in serious trouble if you are not in total control at all times, so if you doubt your self control think twice Cool

i think youll find mine is a 650 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shiver85
Forum Member
Forum Member
avatar

Male

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Airwane wrote:
is there a big difference between a 600 and a 750?

because if I have to go to step by step then the next should be a 250cc.
I know I wont go for a 1000cc lol!

id jump on a 600 636 or 650 which i did from never riding a bike before until i done my DAS.

even after a year and 17k miles im not happty to jump on a 1000 yet because i know there is a big power step something like 80bhp at times.

so take it easy keep to a mid range engine and youll love it 1000cc bikes only beat 600's on top speed and pulling away
Back to top Go down
View user profile
S I N C E R R E
C.E.O
C.E.O
avatar

Male Age : 32
Location : Lewisham
Gemini Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 5:42 pm

You'd be mad to get a 1000.

I agree with Shiver your better of getting a mid range 600/636/650 bike.
You had your first accident today on a 125 twist and go in the rain, imagine how much more difficult to control the bike would have been if it was a bigger bike.
Engine wise it doesnt make much difference, like Redz said, on a 1000 you still wouldnt really get away from the 600s especially in london and the 600s are much more fun because you can go through the gears... You'd spend most of your time in 2nd gear on a 1000 wheres the fun in that?!

I disagree with PRE, forget getting a 125 geared bike thats pointless. You dont need to get used to the gears and clutch, thats easy and you will pick that up on your test, i went straight onto a 636 and got used to the gears on that.

The extra power on the 636 really makes the world of difference, it feels more lke a 750 than a 600!

I really wouldnt advise going and getting a 750 or 1000, you need to take one step at a time. The ER6 is far from small and is certainly not an uncomfortable bike. I would love to go and jump straight on a ZX14 but that would just be mental... You have to work your way up bro, thats the only way to be a good experienced and safe rider.

_________________

Peace & God Bless,

S I N C E R E
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.FreedomRydaz.co.uk
BADWOLF
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 108
Location : ME8 (medway towns)
Pisces Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Thu May 14, 2009 7:55 pm

shiver85 wrote:
RedZ wrote:
Bro, you got all the info about tests etc so the decision is yours depending on your own current situation etc. The only thing I will comment on is bike size, last week on the ride out my bike was the only 1000cc bike all of them were 600's apart from Adams 636 and the GSR 750. My bike is definately more powerfull but I really wouldnt be able to leave anyone behind, only on a long str8.

My advise would be to go for the bike you want the most, be it the looks, handeling, cost or whatever. You must give alot of respect to a large bike as it will get you in serious trouble if you are not in total control at all times, so if you doubt your self control think twice Cool

i think youll find mine is a 650 Very Happy

also youll find that mine is 625 Very Happy
but it doesn't matter how big your engine is it still hurts when you come off at speed or coming out ya garage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_Night_Watchman
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Male Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Huh.................?   Thu May 14, 2009 10:42 pm

You want to go from a 125 to a 1000 cc just like that? Hmm.....



I personally think that it would probably be more sensible, easier, cheaper both to buy and insure/service/etc to go for a 400 cc bike.


The reason i say this is, I have ridden an unrestricted 32 BHP ZZR400 and a restricted GSXR 750. The GSXR was top heavy, hard to manauver and seriously had the same amount of "get up and go" as the 400, the ZZR was easier to manauver and more fun in general.



I have ridden quite a few unrestricted GSXR's in my time and yeah they are great bikes but they aint Honda's geek



T_N_W
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bikerbabe600
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator
avatar

Female Age : 54
Location : Hither Green
Cancer Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 1:29 am

Rudy, I jumped from a 125 geared to my 600. Honestly mate, a 600 is more than enough power to start with until you are fully confident to move up. I would not even think of getting a 1000cc bike, not for now anyway. But I supposed everyone is different, so like the others said, do what you feel you can cope with. By the way, that Z1 looks well cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airwane
Prospect
Prospect
avatar

Male Age : 36
Location : London, Croydon, Bromley, Penge
Virgo Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 3:21 am

The_Night_Watchman wrote:
You want to go from a 125 to a 1000 cc just like that? Hmm.....



I personally think that it would probably be more sensible, easier, cheaper both to buy and insure/service/etc to go for a 400 cc bike.


The reason i say this is, I have ridden an unrestricted 32 BHP ZZR400 and a restricted GSXR 750. The GSXR was top heavy, hard to manauver and seriously had the same amount of "get up and go" as the 400, the ZZR was easier to manauver and more fun in general.



I have ridden quite a few unrestricted GSXR's in my time and yeah they are great bikes but they aint Honda's geek



T_N_W

they don't do 400cc anymore and I want a brand new bike Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.airwane.com
PRE
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 29
Location : Croydon
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 4:36 am

S I N C E R E wrote:


I disagree with PRE, forget getting a 125 geared bike thats pointless. You dont need to get used to the gears and clutch, thats easy and you will pick that up on your test, i went straight onto a 636 and got used to the gears on that.

i only mentioned a geared 125 as during Rudy's CBT he switched from gears to twist and go as he wasnt too comfy with gears. If that is the case it would be very helpful to get some miles down beforehand on a geared bike if it doesnt come naturally!
i personally did about 3000miles on my geared bike before taking my test, its a a real big confidence boost. and tests are now harder than ever.

Badwolf yeah i forgot you had the 1000cc buell, but the power delivery on that V-Twin is a lot more tame than an IL4 1000.

Rudy what test do you feel like taking bro? the restricted test [A2] or the full test [DAS]?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bikepics.com/members/pre/
Airwane
Prospect
Prospect
avatar

Male Age : 36
Location : London, Croydon, Bromley, Penge
Virgo Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 4:56 am

PRE wrote:
S I N C E R E wrote:


I disagree with PRE, forget getting a 125 geared bike thats pointless. You dont need to get used to the gears and clutch, thats easy and you will pick that up on your test, i went straight onto a 636 and got used to the gears on that.

i only mentioned a geared 125 as during Rudy's CBT he switched from gears to twist and go as he wasnt too comfy with gears. If that is the case it would be very helpful to get some miles down beforehand on a geared bike if it doesnt come naturally!
i personally did about 3000miles on my geared bike before taking my test, its a a real big confidence boost. and tests are now harder than ever.

Badwolf yeah i forgot you had the 1000cc buell, but the power delivery on that V-Twin is a lot more tame than an IL4 1000.

Rudy what test do you feel like taking bro? the restricted test [A2] or the full test [DAS]?


it's all down to my theory test first then the money. if i got money for the DAS i'll go for it other wise it will be the A2 as I think Kamikaze said it was £60(not sure). even tho I get the A2 and during the restricted period I got enough monay for the DAS I'll do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.airwane.com
PRE
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 29
Location : Croydon
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 5:39 am

Okay well yeah get your theory out of the way, that sounds like the best thing to first get done.

My restricted A2 costed me £300 for 2 days training and test [this did not include the cost of the theory test which i did a few weeks earlier]

Have a look around and see what the prices are for A2 and DAS courses, and also how much training you may want.
They can range from 1-2day courses all the way upto 5 or 6 day courses. Fellow riders on our forum can let you know how many days training they took and how they found it!

I think you are right, the test fee is about £60, or maybe a little more as the test has changed a little this year. however the main cost of it will be the training in which you will be with an instructor and on one of their bikes. [hence why mine costed £300]. This price varies with how many days training you have and on what bike, 125cc [for A2] or 500cc [for DAS], the 500cc bike being more expensive to train on as far as i know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bikepics.com/members/pre/
bikerbabe600
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator
avatar

Female Age : 54
Location : Hither Green
Cancer Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 5:46 am

Seeing as I have just recently passed my test, I can tell you I did a 3 day DAS which cost me £535. The first day was out on a 125, I used mine. They need to know that you can more than handle a 125 before they will even think of putting you on a 500. There were two other riders with me on day 1, they both ended up not doing day 2 and 3, as they were not competent enough on a 125. More practice was needed.

I also did an assessment prior to booking my DAS, this allows the trainer to assess how many days you will need on your DAS. The assessment was for an hour and cost me I think £25. I believe most schools do this, I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BADWOLF
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 108
Location : ME8 (medway towns)
Pisces Dog

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 6:44 am

PRE wrote:
Badwolf yeah i forgot you had the 1000cc buell, but the power delivery on that V-Twin is a lot more tame than an IL4 1000.

hmmmm when I buy my next one you can have a go..... Very Happy
I've never been on a tame v twin, guess I've been luckly. they do deliver power differently as in power sooner and you don't have to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere. I loved that bike and if it wasn't for the one that won't be named id still have it. grumble grumble
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_Night_Watchman
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Male Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 7:49 am

Airwane wrote:
The_Night_Watchman wrote:
You want to go from a 125 to a 1000 cc just like that? Hmm.....



I personally think that it would probably be more sensible, easier, cheaper both to buy and insure/service/etc to go for a 400 cc bike.


The reason i say this is, I have ridden an unrestricted 32 BHP ZZR400 and a restricted GSXR 750. The GSXR was top heavy, hard to manauver and seriously had the same amount of "get up and go" as the 400, the ZZR was easier to manauver and more fun in general.



I have ridden quite a few unrestricted GSXR's in my time and yeah they are great bikes but they aint Honda's geek



T_N_W

they don't do 400cc anymore and I want a brand new bike Very Happy



Um yes they do, they are called "grey imports".




Forget a brand new bike too for a while dood, unless you have won lottery or summit?!? Think about the insurance for a start
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PRE
Vested Member
Vested Member
avatar

Male Age : 29
Location : Croydon
Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   Fri May 15, 2009 8:38 am

Rudy to be honest dont worry too much about what bike to get until you've passed your test! once thats done we'll all b more than happy to help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bikepics.com/members/pre/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?   

Back to top Go down
 
Should I go from a 125cc to a 1000cc?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» 125cc Moped Engine Help!
» Kawasaki 1125cc by AMR....
» New Can-AM Commander 1000cc SXS
» Stock 1000cc Commander: 0-70 MPH in 13 seconds
» 1000cc Shootout. XP1000 vs Maverick XRS vs Wildcat X

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Freedom Rydaz :: Bike Related :: General Bike Talk-
Jump to: